Glenara was bought by the university on 15 December 1924 for £8500 as an economic measure to avoid the cost of erecting new buildings. This carried the university estate down to the Main Road in Rosebank. Glenara is used as the official residence of the vice-chancellor. The house stands on land that was part of one of the Cape's oldest farms - Hollandsche Tuin - granted by van Riebeek in 1657. In 1881, part of the land was sold to L.A. Vincent, a merchant, who chose the name Glenara. The architect responsible for designing the house was A. W. Ackerman (who designed Cape Town's Central Station), and building costed £6000. In 1898 the property was sold to Stephen Trill before being purchased by UCT. Source: Origins of Names of Buildings at the University of Cape Town, Mr M. Musemwa (Department of History UCT, 1993). SAhistory.org.za. Saunders, S. 2000. Vice-Chancellor on a tightrope: A personal account of climatic years in South Africa. Cape Town: David Philip Publishers.