The seed is planted
The need for a dedicated college library came about in 1829 when the founders of the South African College first expressed the need for a library for their students. In the years to follow, the residents of Cape Town responded generously with donations of books. Notable figures such as Caspar Hendrik van Zyl, attorney and professor of law donated his library of legal texts to the law students he taught. Sir George Grey donated his collection of classical works to the College.
The following story of the University of Cape Town Libraries is an adaptation of Tanya Barben's article The Sapling that grew into a Tree: 100 years of the University of Cape Town Libraries in 2005.